Report on further progress in social and environmental sustainability
At both sites – Bambidie and Owendo – complete FSC recertification audits were carried out in 2018. These take place every 5 years. Once again, these audits concluded very successfully. The high level of our work over many years was once again confirmed by independent third parties. In addition, the PAFC audit of forestry management and the CoC certification of CEB and TGI according to the PAFC guidelines were carried out. This means that full dual certification of the Group has been successfully completed.
- Activities in the newly opened "Maison de la Culture" in Bambidie were financially supported by CEB and PWH.
- Numerous training sessions took place for our logging teams. The goal is to improve knowledge and skills in the area of reduced impact logging and to secure the processes.
- Training sessions for employees in the new central saw sharpening plant were held. First aid classes were also held in cooperation with the Red Cross, and advanced training of the company fire brigade in cooperation with governmental organizations was carried out.
- A project against poaching was organized in cooperation with the ministry responsible for forestry, the Gabon National Park Agency, and NGOs. This project is supported by the German environmental project PPECF.
- Cooperation with the Research Institute in Tropical Ecology (IRET) for research on and further development of non-timber products was continued.
- The Dynafor project was also continued with P3FAC. The goal of this project is to study the dynamics and enrichment of the forest and to project future forest management and harvesting.
- The joint project with the WCS (Wildlife Conservation Society) was further refined, with the goal of developing a monitoring protocol for surveying and evaluating biodiversity in our concessions. It will include a survey of fauna in the future. A new employee was hired for this project in 2018.